I am an ECE Ph.D. student at Georgia Tech advised by Dr. Antonakakis.
I work on the security of home-based IoT devices, mobile apps, cloud backends, and network security using active and passive techniques.
Additionally, I am investigating malware threats affecting IoT, mobile apps, and cloud backends.
- Georgia Institute of Technology, PhD in ECE (enrolled)
- Purdue University, Master’s of Information Security (CERIAS) 2009
- Purdue University, Bachelor of Science, Computer Science and Mathematics 2007
Honors & Awards
- CSAW’19 Applied Research Competition Finalist (The Betrayal At Cloud City)
- Create-X Launch Participant and Finalist - 2019 video
- First Place in Cyber Security Demo Day (Research Track) - 2019 press
- First Place in Institute for Information Security & Privacy Demo Day (Best Idea) - 2018 press, press
- President Fellowship - 2016-2020
- Omar Alrawi*, Moses Ike*, Matthew Pruett, Ranjita Pai Kasturi, Srimanta Barua, Taleb Hirani, Brennan Hill, Brendan Saltaformaggio; Forecasting Malware Capabilities From Cyber Attack Memory Images, USENIX Security, August 2021.
- R. Duan, O. Alrawi, R. P Kasturi, R. Elder, B. Saltaformaggio, W. Lee. Measuring and preventing supply chain attacks on package managers To appear in NDSS 2021.
- R. Perdisci, T. Papastergiu, O. Alrawi, M. Antonakakis. IoTFinder: Efficient Large-Scale Identification of IoT Devices via Passive DNS Traffic Analysis, EuroS&P, Septmber 2020
- R. P Kasturi, Y. Sun, R. Duian, O. Alrawi, E. Asdar, V. Zhu, Y. Kwon, B. Saltaformaggio; TARDIS: Rolling Back The Clock On CMS-Targeting Cyber Attacks, IEEE S&P (Oakland), May 2020.
- Omar Alrawi*, Chaoshun Zuo*, Ruian Duan, Ranjita Kasturi, Zhiqiang Lin, Brendan Saltaformaggio; The Betrayal At Cloud City: An Empirical Analysis Of Cloud-Based Mobile Backends, USENIX Security, August 2019.
- VIDEO: Conf. Presentation
- MEDIA: Diginomica, InfoSec Magazine, Defense One, NextGov, NSF, BGR-IN, Digital Info World, Eng&Tech, Market Research, AppDevMag, Quint, Khaleej
- Omar Alrawi, Chaz Lever, Manos Antonakakis, Fabian Monrose; SoK: Security Evaluation of Home-Based IoT Deployments, IEEE S&P (Oakland), May 2019.
- R. Duan, A. Bijlani, Y. Ji, O. Alrawi, Y. Xiong, M. Ike, B. Saltaformaggio, W. Lee; Automating Patching of Vulnerable Open-Source Software Versions in Application Binaries, NDSS, Feb 2019
- Omar Alrawi, Aziz Mohaisen; Chains of Distrust: Towards Understanding Certificates Used for Signing Malicious Applications, WWW 2016 Companion, April 2016.
- Aziz Mohaisen, Omar Alrawi; Behavior-based Automated Malware Analysis and Classification, Elsevier Computers & Security, 2015.
- A Mohaisen, AG West, A Mankin, O Alrawi; Chatter: Classifying Malware Families Using System Event Ordering. IEEE CNS 2014.
- Aziz Mohaisen, Omar Alrawi; AMAL: High-Fidelity, Behavior-based Automated Malware Analysis and Classification. WISA 2014. Best Paper Award.
- Aziz Mohaisen, Omar Alrawi,; AV-Meter: An Evaluation of Antivirus Scans and Labels. DIMVA 2014.
- Aziz Mohaisen, Omar Alrawi, Andrew G. West, and Allison Mankin; Babble: Identifying Malware by Its Dialects. IEEE CNS 2013.
- Aziz Mohaisen, Omar Alrawi, Matt Larson, and Danny McPherson; Towards A Methodical Evaluation of Antivirus Scans and Labels. WISA 2013.
- Aziz Mohaisen, Omar Alrawi; Unveiling Zeus Automated Classification of Malware Samples. WWW Workshops 2013.
- Specialization; Malware analysis and reverse engineering
- Programming; Python, C/C++, Java, etc.
- Data science; ML, numpy/scipy, scikit-learn, Keras, TensorFlow, gnuplot
- Design and architcture; software and infrastructure
- System engineering and administration; Linux, Virtualization, Docker, salt
- Project/people managment; mentoring, team lead, SME, consulting, training