I am a PhD student at Georgia Tech in the ECE department.
I am interested in using data mining and data analytic techniques to augment system and network artifacts for security applications.
I am researching and measuring home-based smart device security through systematic evaluation.
I am also working on understanding malware threats that target these devices through system and network analysis.
- Georgia Institute of Technology, PhD in ECE (enrolled)
- Purdue University, Master’s of Information Security (CERIAS) 2009
- Purdue University, Bachelor of Science, Computer Science and Mathematics 2007
- Omar Alrawi*, Chaoshun Zuo*, Ruian Duan, Ranjita Kasturi, Zhiqiang Lin, Brendan Saltaformaggio; The Betrayal At Cloud City: An Empirical Analysis Of Cloud-Based Mobile Backends, USENIX Security, August 2019.
- Omar Alrawi, Chaz Lever, Manos Antonakakis, Fabian Monrose; SoK: Security Evaluation of Home-Based IoT Deployments, IEEE S&P, May 2019. (slides-long) (slides-short)
- R. Duan, A. Bijlani, Y. Ji, O. Alrawi, Y. Xiong, M. Ike, B. Saltaformaggio, W. Lee; Automating Patching of Vulnerable Open-Source Software Versions in Application Binaries, NDSS, Feb 2019
- Omar Alrawi, Aziz Mohaisen; Chains of Distrust: Towards Understanding Certificates Used for Signing Malicious Applications, WWW 2016 Companion, April 2016.
- Aziz Mohaisen, Omar Alrawi; Behavior-based Automated Malware Analysis and Classification, Elsevier Computers & Security, 2015.
- A Mohaisen, AG West, A Mankin, O Alrawi; Chatter: Classifying Malware Families Using System Event Ordering. IEEE CNS 2014.
- Aziz Mohaisen, Omar Alrawi; AMAL: High-Fidelity, Behavior-based Automated Malware Analysis and Classification. WISA 2014. Best Paper.
- Aziz Mohaisen, Omar Alrawi,; AV-Meter: An Evaluation of Antivirus Scans and Labels. DIMVA 2014.
- Aziz Mohaisen, Omar Alrawi, Andrew G. West, and Allison Mankin; Babble: Identifying Malware by Its Dialects. IEEE CNS 2013.
- Aziz Mohaisen, Omar Alrawi, Matt Larson, and Danny McPherson; Towards A Methodical Evaluation of Antivirus Scans and Labels. WISA 2013.
- Aziz Mohaisen, Omar Alrawi; Unveiling Zeus Automated Classification of Malware Samples. WWW Workshops 2013.
- Specialization; Malware analysis and reverse engineering
- Programming; Python, C/C++, Java, etc.
- Data science; ML, numpy/scipy, scikit-learn, Keras, TensorFlow, gnuplot
- Design and architcture; software and infrastructure
- System engineering and administration; Linux, Virtualization, Docker, salt
- Project/people managment; mentoring, team lead, SME, consulting, training